Digital Learning Day is February 28, 2019! February is full of opportunities to reflect and celebrate our past, present, and future, and Digital Learning Day offers us the chance to do both–reflect and celebrate the impact of digital tools on learning and teaching.
The 2019 Commemoration wants to make Virginia the home for innovators, and Digital Learning Day is a fun way to connect the commemorative themes of opportunity and innovation with your edtech initiatives for Virginia’s future leaders.
How to Integrate with 2019 Schools
- Encourage digital student storytelling with the Our American Story Student Contest (and possibly win $$ for your school). Here’s a good article on how digital storytelling facilitates authentic learning: https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/6-reasons-tools-exploring-digital-storytelling
- Learn more about Virginia and local history with the Virginia History Trails app. We love this app in our office! Use it as a digital tool for performance assessments or do quick writes and reflections in class with the app’s historical categories.
- Go low tech and challenge students to analyze how technology and digital learning have defined their generation with the New York Times’ writing prompts for students (technology questions: 336-352).
- Participate in a free online HistoryConnects interactive program from the Virginia Museum of History and Culture. They have programs on Abraham Lincoln, African Americans, and the Emancipation Proclamation and Pocahontas, which are free for Digital Learning Day only. Use the links to register.
- Learn a new tech tool from teacher bloggers like Ditch That Textbook and FreeTechnology for Teachers. Here’s a list of 6 new edtech tools to try in 2019 from Cult of Pedagogy.
- Download and fill out the “Digital Learning is” prompt from VSTE with your teacher tribe or students and share a pic using #DLDAYVSTE and #2019Schools so we can retweet!
How are you connecting Digital Learning Day to 2019 Schools? However you are participating, be sure to let us know by using #2019Schools or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!