American Evolution Marketing Grant Program
Promote Democracy, Diversity, and Opportunity in your community.
The grant application for 2018 has closed.
American Evolution is sponsoring a marketing grant program administered by the Virginia Tourism Corporation. The purpose of this grant program is to assist Virginia localities – from towns and cities to museums, tourist attractions, and non-profit organizations – in the promotion of their sites and their connections to American Evolution.
This objective can be accomplished through the following:
- Establishing and promoting a local or regional historic trail(s) that aligns with the commemoration themes of democracy, diversity and opportunity.
- Creating and promoting itineraries for tourism to the locality or region aligned with the commemoration themes, local or regional trails, and American Evolution Digital Trail Sites.
- Promoting American Evolution to build awareness of the 2019 Commemoration and Virginia’s role in the creation of the United States.
Project proposals must promote American Evolution’s themes of democracy, diversity, and opportunity, and its vision of reinforcing Virginia as a leader in education, tourism and economic development. Projects must also encourage visitation to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Programs that are regional in scope are encouraged.
For applicants wishing to create a local or regional historic trail, the created trail must include at least one American Evolution Digital Trail site. A full list of these sites is available below.
Applicants may apply for up to $10,000 in funding for their project, with a 1:1 match required. (In-kind support may not be used to match the funding granted by this program.)
Applications will be scored on a merit scale, the details of which are available in the grant application packet. A detailed marketing plan must also be included with any application.
Round 1 Grant Winners
– Historic Christ Church and Museum
– Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest
– Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe
– The Long Way Home, Inc.
– William King Museum of Art
– James Madison’s Montpelier
– Historical Society of Western Virginia
– Louisa County Historical Society
– Birthplace of Country Music
– Board of Regents of Gunston Hall
– Preservation Virginia
– Lynchburg Office of Economic Development & Tourism
If you are interested in applying for the American Evolution Marketing Grant Program on behalf of your organization and wish to learn more, please register for one of our WebEx informational sessions by contacting Kristin Ritchey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the name of your organization in your message. During these sessions, applicants will be free to ask questions about American Evolution, the American Evolution Digital Trail, or the application process. The next available sessions are:
- Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 10 AM
- Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 2 PM
Inquiries may also be directed to Amy Ritchie at DigitalTrail2019@jyf.virginia.gov or (757) 253-4189.